We Create Our Own Happiness

Leah - Maryville/IL, Illinois

Have you ever been depressed? Wished you were someone else? I believe that everyone has the power to create their own happiness.

My mom has said this since I was little, and just recently I’ve stated to agree with her. The other day as I was walking down the endless hallway to my dreaded math class, I heard the girls in front of me talking. I’m not a big eavesdropper but sometimes people are so ridiculous in the hallway that it’s hard not to listen. The taller and slightly smaller blonde was telling her friend that her boyfriend had just broken up with her. “I can’t believe it! He dumped me for her! Without him I’m nothing!” The other girl of course sympathized with her, “Oh my God. How could he do this to you? I feel so bad for you. I mean, she’s ugly anyways, you’re so much hotter.”

At first I laughed about how dramatic they were being but I couldn’t stop thinking about it the rest of the day. If she is supposedly so unhappy without him, then she should find something to make herself happy and forget about him. I believe that you can find things to do to make yourself happier; find a job that you love, hang out with friends, or accomplish something that you’ve always wanted to. I believe that life is too short to be unhappy all the time, what’s the point in that?

I think that people take their lives for granted. They focus on everything going wrong in their lives, instead of thinking and realizing how lucky they are. This girl was devastated because a boy broke up with her and she’s probably worrying about who will take her to prom. There are people who don’t have homes or food! I think that if people would think about the positive things in their lives, they would be happier. I’m not saying that what happened to this girl shouldn’t matter, I realize that it does. But it shouldn’t matter as much as people tend to make it matter. q

I believe that we have the right, and obligation to ourselves to make our lives worthwhile. If we go through life waiting for something amazing to happen to us, or something or someone to come along we may wait forever. Find your own destiny, and find your own happiness.