Do You Trust Me?

Heidi - Collinsville, Illinois
Themes: family, integrity

I think that trust is the most special gift anyone can give to you. Trust is something that you don’t just give away. You have to earn it. You have to work for it. Trust is something that is so hard to gain, but so easy to lose.

I know I’ve destroyed my parents’ trust in me before. Over the summer my parents left for a “romantic getaway”. My parents had never gone away and left my sister and me completely by ourselves before. My brother had always stayed with us, too. That was not going to be possible this time due to a soccer championship he had to participate in.

My parents had second thoughts about leaving us by ourselves and were kind of nervous about it. Finally, I talked them into not worrying and to just leave because they should be able to trust me. After about a million reminders and a list of a hundred emergency numbers, they left.

After they left, my sister and I decided we would have a party. We didn’t think of it as a party really, just a “get-together”. It didn’t exactly turn out to be that way. The people we invited brought at least two or three more people with them. At first we thought it was okay, just innocent fun right? Before too long, we realized that the party was getting out of control. There were people everywhere, chips and drinks spilled all over the floor and the music cranked up so loud, it hurt your ears. We lost track of time and it ended up being an all nighter. By five in the morning, everyone was either passed out on the floor or had left. The place was a total mess. I didn’t get up the next day until about twelve. When I woke up I heard the answering machine beeping. My parents had called that morning and since we hadn’t answered, they had gotten worried and were coming home. Five minutes after I heard that message, my parents got home. Needless to say, my parents were shocked and all their trust in me was gone. Four months after the incident, I’m still working on getting their trust back.

If someone decides to put their trust in you, you should appreciate and treasure it. It’s so hard to find someone you can actually trust these days. If someone decides to trust you, you should feel lucky. Without trust, you can’t really have a good relationship with anyone. Remember though, it can take years to get someone’s trust and only a couple seconds to lose it. Trust is like a vase, if you break it you can fix it but it will never be the same again.