I believe that a penny saved is a penny earned

Samantha - collinsville, Illinois
Themes: family, legacy

If you asked my friends about whom I am, they would probably tell you I am very cheap. When I was ten I used all my birthday money to open a savings account. What ten year old would pass up a trip to Wal-mart for a college fund? Not many. I have had that account six years. I now have a total of two thousand eight hundred and fifty dollars. So I believe that a penny saved is a penny earned.

I never pay full price and if I have the ability to live without it I will. I will wait years for something to go on sale. It took me a whole year before I agreed to buy this shirt I wanted. I look at it this way, there’s another dollar for the next shirt. I have also waited years for books to come out in paperback because I don’t want to pay five more dollars for the hardback.

I think I get most of my cheapness from my grandmother. In fact I know I do. My mother and my sister cannot keep a dollar in there pockets if it meant their lives. It drives me nuts. My grandmother is even cheaper than I am! She will get into a fight over a quarter. Even I won’t go that far. One time we went into dollar general and she got into an argument with the women at the register. She did not want to pay a dollar for a card she thought should be fifty cents. When I told her it was only fifty cents she replied with, “That’s another fifty cents for you grandkids.”

My grandmother has gone through a lot of financial hard times. She has scraped every penny she has had and she is pretty well established now. I believe she earned every fifty cents she has saved.