Without Hate

Dominique - Collinsville, Illinois

A world without discrimination, where people can be seen as people rather than race, sex, or class, that is my idea of perfection.

Everyday you can see discrimination. Whether it’s the funny looks you get while walking in an all white neighborhood, or whether it’s being picked last because you are the only girl on the team, discrimination is all around us.

Growing up mixed in Indiana was kind of a challenge. If it wasn’t the hateful looks you got in the hick neighborhoods, or the nicknames like ‘mix-breed’ and ‘mutt’ than it was probably the family that I had to deal with.

I love my family, don’t get me wrong. By aunts and my cousins were all that I could ask for, but my uncles and their sons, on the other hand, weren’t exactly what I would consider family.

A few of my uncles were in the KKK (a small organization you may have heard of ). My uncles in the KKK generally ignored me and my existence, which in retrospect was probably easier; it was my other uncles who gave me problems. It was the uncles who would allow me to come over and visit my cousins, but with doing so would remind me that, 1-they didn’t believe that blacks and whites were equal, or, 2-they didn’t believe in interracial relationships, and that either way I didn’t fit into their beliefs. It hurt me to be around so much hate; It wounded me to know my cousins couldn’t come visit be because my step-dad was black; And it killed me to watch my cousins grow and develop hate in their eyes, hate that they didn’t have before, hate that was taught.

I can’t say it wasn’t hard being raised around that, but I can say that it made me a better person. Their narrow-mindedness taught me acceptance, their ignorance taught me patience, and their hate taught me love.

I can’t blame my uncles for how they were raised, I understand that these ideals were forced upon them, but I can blame them for bestowing that hate onto their children, because I believe that a child should be raised without knowing what hate looks like.