Annie - 60526, Illinois

Just recently at the end of August, my 18-year-old sister, Katie, was returning to Saint Louis University for her second year of college. I have always known her as a big procrastinator. For example, she always packs for vacations at the very last second. So it was no surprise to me that two nights before she was supposed to leave town, she realized she needed to buy a new rug for her dorm room at school. She asked me if I could come with her to the Home Depot to help pick out a carpet and carry it to her car. I agreed, but only because I was sitting at home watching TV with nothing better to do, waiting for a nasty storm to end.

The storm had died down, but it was only about seven o’clock at night and the sky was pitch black. The rain was still coming down hard, and it was hard to see outside of the completely foggy windows. She was driving very watchfully, for the roads were slick and it was hard to see.

Just a few blocks away from our house, we reached our first intersection. The power was out, so the stoplight was flashing. This meant that the intersection turned into a four-way stop intersection. We let a car pass, and then it was our turn to cross. We slowly started to drive, and soon we saw a car from the opposite direction coming towards us, without signs of stopping. They slammed on their breaks, and came literally within inches of hitting our car.

I believe that there was a guardian angel there that night protecting my sister and I. If there had not been, that car would have slammed into us, and we both could have died.

Looking back at the situation, I am now more cautious when sitting in the passenger seat of my friends’ cars. I am always the one to be concerned if they are not driving safely. I will usually tell them to slow down or to put a seat belt on. After going through that situation, I will be much more careful when I turn sixteen and get my license.