Cross Country

Mark - LaGrange Park, Illinois
Themes: sports

Most sports, like soccer or football, use running as a form of punishment. If something is done wrong, the coach will make someone run laps. There is a sport that is all running, all day, and that sport is Cross Country. Some people would not even consider running a sport, but it is.

I believe that cross country is the greatest sport ever, and is a great way to get in shape. In practice the team usually runs an average of 6-7 miles a day not including meets. Practice may seem like a drag, but it is the only way you can do well in meets.

Meets are the most fun part of cross country. The thrill of trying to beat other teams, your own teammates, or just trying beating your old times. Also, before every meet is a pasta party. One house is chosen from each grade and pasta parties are held there the night before a meet.

The most fun night of the cross country season was at one of the pasta parties. The kid’s house who had the pasta party lived in a mansion. He had six plasma screen TVs, with the Wii and an X-Box 360. We ate tons of pasta and played ping pong, pool, and watched movies in his theater all night. No one wanted to leave his house, but we had to get up early for the meet in the morning.

Cross country is not only fun but it is very good for you. Running is a great way to get in shape. Cross country running results in reduced body fat, increased maximal oxygen uptake, increased respiratory capacity, lower blood lactate concentrations, increased mitochondrial and capillary densities, and improved enzyme activity. Many people participate in cross country to stay in shape for other sports or just to stay healthy.

I was very unhealthy before freshman year, I had never ran over a mile at one time before. My mom forced me into cross country. My first day I ran 5 mile and it was the hardest I have ever worked in my life. I was very sore and tired the rest of the day. A week later we ran the mile time trial a got 7 minutes and 30 seconds. Today I can run 5 miles as a very easy workout, and I can run a mile in under 6 minutes. Cross country changed my life forever.