Life is a Musical

Jessie - Mapleton, Utah

The notes are part of me. The world and everything in it becomes a blur as the music engulfs me in its tune. I release my imprisoned tears as I gently begin to pick at the strings. I feel joy, sadness, and peace as I pour my heart out to no one at all. The song doesn’t judge me, doesn’t care when I make a mistake, but allows my emotions to break free of their cage within my chest. I believe in music.

Music is my life. I’ve always been intrigued by the way notes come together to create new sounds and melodies. By simply changing the speed, intensity, and pitch of different instruments you can change the whole feel of a song. Using the same basic chords you can create anything from a soothing lullaby to an upbeat dance mix. Music creates emotion. It brings people together and creates a common bond between them. It can bring about a positive atmosphere or it can drag us down to the pit of despair. It can drastically change the mood of an environment by simply singing its tune.

Although I have never been very good at writing my own lyrics, I really enjoy finding a new song that I like and learning to play it. I express my emotions through a combination of lyrics that others have written before me. Listening to the words of a song and their meaning is like listening to someone tell a story. They describe thoughts, events, memories and emotion. When I play a song it makes all those actions come to life. I add my own passion and feeling to the music to make the lyrics come alive. Words on a page don’t have nearly as much power without the notes that make them sing.

Everyone whistles to their own tune, marches to their own beat, and sings to their own song. It doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks about your music as long as you look forward to it and like what you hear. Music is my way of expressing exactly what I am feeling without saying it out loud. If I am angry I tend to listen to harder beats, depressed I prefer the blues, when in love I listen to the romantics, and when enjoying life I listen to anything happy and fun. One can understand a lot about a person by simply knowing their taste in music. It’s something that you can’t fake your way through. It’s a part of who you are and what you live for. It’s everywhere and nowhere. It’s like air; I can’t see it but I need it to live. It’s who I am. Without it I wouldn’t be me. I believe in music.