Lorin - New Boston, Michigan

Ever since I was really young, I’ve always liked to travel. My most clear recollection of wanting to travel was when I was four. Most children rarely ever want to leave their parents, but that wasn’t me. I sat in the car waving at my Mom while she was crying that I was leaving her for two weeks. From the first time I stepped out of that car into each state leading down to Florida, I realized that I loved it. Different smells, atmosphere, and foods engulfed me for weeks. I’ll never forget the first time I saw Cinderella’s Castle and thought, “Wow! I am here, maybe if I think harder more wishes will come true.” Many trips back down to that Cinderella’s Castle and fourteen years later, my dreams really did come true.

The reason I love traveling so much, is because it teaches you a lot about yourself. A different place, new people, different food, and not being in your comfort zone can always teach you something. This past year for spring break my sister, my school’s art club and I went on the trip of a lifetime. This trip was a ten-day trip touring all of Italy. When you travel to a different country and see how people can live so simply and be way happier then most Americans you have ever seen, it strikes a chord in you. In parks there were always parents running and playing with their children and most of all laughing. I have never seen so many smiling faces as I did when I was in Italy.

On that trip I learned more of a lesson on myself then I did about anything. I realized that people could be happy with little to nothing, and that they love to socialize with anyone even if they cant speak your language. I learned that I loved my sister more than anyone and that I should do what my instinct is, not what others want me to do. This trip was about stepping out of my comfort zone, and being able to see historical remnants of times past. To me, going and exploring Florence meant more to me than going with my friends to Cozumel, Mexico to get drunk and party all of spring break away. I think that life can sometimes pull people in different directions and things can always change. The best thing anyone can do is make there own decisions and always learn something from them.

Beauty is not only in the eye of the beholder, because when no one is there beauty is still present. Just like when I am on a trip there is always a lesson, even if no one learned it until later in their life, its still a lesson whether it be big or small.