Ashley - Sparks, Nevada

I’ve come to realize I tend to take life for granted. As they say, I don’t stop and “smell the roses.” Through some recent circumstances, I have been thinking more and more of how precious and amazing life really is.

I believe life is unbelievable.

Have you ever thought about life itself? How the body works: the immune system and how it fights off even the toughest of diseases; the digestive system, which takes your breakfast and gives you enough energy to get through the day; even the muscular system, the heart that continually beats to keep you alive and the lungs that pump air to give your body the oxygen it needs: the muscles that continually relax and contract in order for you to perform even the most basic of tasks. This is what makes life unbelievable.

But what about the other side of life; so to say, the darker side. How do people survive some of the things they go through? What about the natural disasters that strike suddenly? Or the illnesses people must face? How do people deal with these tragic events? What if it isn’t their immune systems or any medicine that doctors can provide? What if it is their will to live, that desperate desire to see another dawn? What if it is the prayers and hopes of their family and friends that keep them going? It is not always medicine that saves peoples lives. I have personally seen people come through the hardest illnesses. They survived despite all odds. The defied what doctors thought was impossible. They were pronounced dead multiple times, but came through the night. This is what makes life unbelievable.

These are the major things in life; but how do people survive the day to day struggles? What keeps them going when everything else is falling apart around them? They survive because they have to. They have lives to live and families to support. They need the money, so they don’t quit their job when things get hard. They don’t want to offend anyone, so they keep their mouths quiet. People want to be successful in life, so they work themselves to the brink of exhaustion, to gain what? The fame and fortune they think they desire. People survive because they have to. This is what makes life unbelievable.

I remember being young and thinking how incredible it was when people came through the things they did. My brother and my dad were in a car accident within weeks of each other. They both should have died, but neither of them did. They walked away from the scene and lived. We as humans not only need to survive, but we want to survive.

For these reasons, I won’t take life for granted. I can’t. I won’t let this remarkable gift that was given to me go to waste. I believe that everyone is different, yet every life, how big or seemingly small is remarkable. I believe life is unbelievable.