Mark - Indian Head Park, Illinois
Themes: integrity

I believe in honesty. Honesty shows integrity, so hopefully people will believe what I say and trust me. In contrast, if I lie a lot, people will think of me as a liar and not respect me. I usually cannot tell very believable lies because of my strong belief in honesty.

A couple of months ago, I found a twenty-dollar bill just outside of my house. I pocketed it and felt really lucky. However, later that day, my brother, Billy, was depressed because he lost his twenty-dollar bill. He claimed it fell out of his pocket. My first thought was to tell him I hadn’t seen his money. I knew I would feel too guilty later if I kept the twenty dollars and didn’t tell him the truth. So I told Billy I found his money, and he was really excited. I had to do the right thing and tell the truth, even if I could’ve added twenty dollars to my wallet.

There are many rewards to honesty too. My brother was so happy I gave him his money back, that he gave me three dollars as a reward. Not only is honesty the right thing to, but also it pays off eventually.

I believe in honesty as reassurance that I made the right decision. I believe in honesty because it makes me feel right, and help me to avoid feelings of guilt. Also, if you tell the truth, people will recognize your values and believe you are not going to do something bad. They won’t be suspicious of your motives.

When I was young, my mother always told me, “Honesty is the best policy.” I never understood what she said at the time, but looking back I realize her wisdom. Honesty is the way to go because when you tell lies, you need to remember what lies you told to which person. You can easily forget your lies, and then people will know you are lying. If you just tell the truth all the time, like I try to do, you won’t get into a situation where people might look down on you.

Honesty is a strong factor in my life. It guides me to make most of the decisions I make. I can always fall back on honesty if I’m in a bad situation. Honesty is something everyone should practice. This I believe.