Soccer should be appreciated in the US

Hope - Western Springs, Illinois
Themes: sports

I believe it’s time American’s learn to love the sport that the rest of the world is crazy for—soccer or fútbol in Mexico, football in England, and futebol in Brazil. Many people think of soccer as a boring sport to watch because there are only 1 or 2 goals scored in a game. But if you take the time to learn the game of soccer, it’s not just about scoring goals. There are many exciting moments that happen besides goals.

I have played many sports. In fact, just last year I was on the LT cross country, basketball, and soccer team while playing for my club soccer team all year. Out of all the sports I have played, soccer is the most challenging. That’s probably why I like it the most. I feel great when I am playing a game and I have a perfect corner or send a really good ball to my teammate. It gives me encouragement to keep going. Even when times are hard like when we are running in practice or if I lose the ball in a game and have to use all my energy to sprint down the field and get it, I still love the game. There is just something about playing soccer that puts me in another world, where I don’t worry about other things.

In the United States, everyone talks about football and baseball, which are, in theory, two important aspects of soccer. Football is a physically challenging sport, and baseball requires concentration at all times. Soccer is both mental and physical. Soccer is not just about scoring goals. It is about strength, skill, stamina, and thought. You have to be alert at all times and know when and where to pass, dribble or shoot. There are no time-outs like football and basketball. You are running for 45 minutes straight, you get about 10 minutes of rest and you’re back out there for 45 more minutes, not including extra time. Your team is only allowed 3 substitutions, and once you come off the field, you’re off for the rest of the game. Soccer appears to be some simple game where you kick a ball into a net, but until you get on the field yourself, you will never know how difficult it is to play soccer. There are no guarantees that when you step on that field you will feel the same way I do, but at least you can respect the game and maybe watch a few world cup games every now and then. Who knows? You might have found that it’s not as boring as you thought it was. That is why I believe Americans should give soccer a chance to be important, like it is in other parts of the world. So before people make judgments about soccer, go play a game of your own.