I Believe That After Middle School Homework Should Not Exist

Joe - western springs, Illinois

I believe that after middle school, homework should not exist. The primary reason for teachers giving homework is to prepare the students for tests and exams. Exam preparation, however, should be covered throughout grade school, not in high school. Once a student is in high school, I think that it their responsibility to learn the material that is covered in class. The only reason that homework is given out to students is because teachers want the students to receive good grades only if they put forth a lot effort. If the teachers really wanted to give their students a challenge, I believe that they would not give homework and would leave it up to the students to do enough studying to master the material. I have strong opinions on this topic because my homework grade is much worse than any other section of my grade. The homework grade on my overall average is always the one section that holds me back from getting that A. From talking and associating with other students I know that they also have the same homework troubles that I do. The way that I, and many other students are productive and efficient is by listening to the teacher, figuring out what things that are going to be on the test, and studying that material. After all, in the majority of my classes, about 95% of the material that we are forced to learn, I am not going to be using in the real world. So what is the point? Teachers just want their students to spend lots of time on schoolwork, when students could be learning different things, and obtaining new skills and interests. It would be a lot more ideal for both students and teachers if there was no homework in high school. After all teachers would not have to make or grade homework, and they would have more time to create interesting lesson plans. So, I say no homework, take time to relax, learn and explore new things and ideas. And build character by being independent and studying the material that you need in order to be successful.