Samantha - LaGrange Park, Illinois

I believe in music. I know it sounds weird to say, but it’s true. What I mean by this is that music is a friend, it’s a therapist, it’s a dance teacher, and it’s even a part of you. Every morning before I go to school, I always listen to a song depending on my emotion. One of my best memories with music is one day after school when I was having a fabulous day. I got a seat on the bus, which is surprising because it’s so crowded and I’m one of the last stops. I aced a biology quiz, the first and last biology quiz I ever aced. I was just having one of those days when not even homework could bring you down. I got home and decided it would be fun to write a song. Once I started that evening, I continued until the end of the week. It took some time to make it worthy in my eyes, but in the end, it gave me something to be proud of. If I remember clearly, it had no meaning to it, just a happiness song. To this day, I can’t find it, which is a shame because it was the first song I had ever written. Sometimes when I have an emotion I must express, I’ll create a song. Usually nothing too amazing, but it is pure fun along the way. I guess since I’ve always been into writing this is like my way of coping with things. Along with writing songs, I’m not too sure I could function without music at all. It’s a part of my daily homework routine- I listened to some while writing this and it helps me become more laid back and puts me in thought. As I’m sure all of you have at least one favorite song, artist or genre of music, would you not agree on the ways it makes you happy? Whether you’re singing along, dancing to the beat, writing the lyrics or meditating to the story it plays, it all equals a form of love. I love and strongly believe in music.