Kathryn - LaGrange Park, Illinois
Themes: family, gratitude

I believe in the love of older brothers, even when they don’t know how to express it. I’ve grown up with two older brothers. Basically I describe it as hell to people. Most of my friends would say that too after being at my house during one of our fights. It’s hard, though, not having a dad to turn to. I guess my brothers feel the same way. They try to take the place of him for me. They are always bossing me around, telling me what to do and when to do it, and what I can and cannot say. They get me so angry just by how they act or how they treat me most of the time. There are days when the three of us do get along, but it usually doesn’t last. When those days do happen, I love every second of them.

One thing I act like I can’t stand is when people say I look like my brother Taylor. People tell me that more times than you would believe. The thing about it though, is that I actually don’t mind it. I don’t tell people that I kind of look up to him. I mean I don’t agree with everything he does or says, but I know he has an amazing heart. He has the love of his life right now and a good life. I also know that if I ever needed him he would be here for me, even though he comes off as a mean, big-mouth brother. He has told me that if I am ever in trouble to just call him to come get me, and when relationships have gone wrong, he has always offered to get back at whoever hurt his little sister.

Not only do my brothers have to be right, but they have to keep telling you that they are right. Just recently my brother Tyler picked me up at my bus stop because it was raining. When I got into the car I noticed he was listening to music that I consider rap, even though it is not what our society classifies as rap. Anyway, I said that he is such a hypocrite because he makes fun of me for listening to rap when here he is listening to it. Well, my remark was intended to make him laugh, but it started a fight instead. When Tyler is mad, he never shuts up. I guess he eventually does, but I have to ignore him for it to happen. Even though we fought, that night was completely different. We started talking and laughing like nothing happened earlier. We do fight a lot, but Tyler goofs off with me and cheers me up. I guess that’s how my brothers are with me. No matter how much we fight, I would never, ever want to lose them. Besides all of the fighting and arguing, I consider myself very lucky for having two older brothers to live my life with.