The Ability to Achieve

Joel - Lagrange, Illinois

I believe that anyone can do anything. I have gone through many difficult times in my life, but I tried hard to turn them into good things, and make the best of them. This is especially true if you work your hardest at it.

The biggest problem I had to overcome was when I was a freshman. I decided to play football. I was doing well, starting on the B team, until the worst day of my life came. I was playing in a football game, when I hurt my foot. I thought it was just a sprained ankle, so I planned to keep playing until the drive was over. We ran the next play, and I could barely walk on it, so I walked over to the sideline to get ice. By the time the game was over, my foot was swelled up like a balloon, so I was sent to see the doctor. After examining my X- rays, he noticed that the bones had a larger space than normal, so he sent me to go get an MRI.

When I went back to the doctor after the MRI, he had some bad news. He said that I had broken my foot in many places, causing the bones to move and misalign. The doctor said I would need surgery, and most likely I would be out all of football, basketball, and maybe even a spring sport. I was mad about this because I loved basketball. Then to make things even worse, my surgery was the same day as homecoming, so while everyone was having fun at the football games and the dance, I was stuck in a hospital for 14 hours. I knew this was the biggest thing I would have to overcome. I would have to get back into shape for sports, after being on crutches for four months.

It would be hard to come back but I knew I could do it. I went as hard as I could during therapy, and it paid off. In 4 weeks I went from not being able to jump at all to being able to grab the rim again. But best of all, I made it back in time to finish the basketball season. Even though I rarely played I overcame all odds and made it back two months before they predicted I would.

Now, I am not only playing football, I am starting on the A team. If I could go from not being able to walk to starting, I think anyone could do anything. This is the main reason I believe that anyone can do anything.

I have found out that hard work goes a long way in both school and sports. No matter how good or bad you are, if you aim high and set good goals, you can achieve them by trying your hardest. Your mind is what powers your body, if you think you can do it, then you can do anything, no matter what the circumstances are.