Todd - USA
Themes: creativity, work

When I play piano, sometimes I feel a sense of loneliness, just by myself. But when I am playing percussion with other kids around me and we are all passionate about what we do, I feel part of something amazing. I love the swirling mixture of music when different parts come together. I believe that playing music brings people together as a team, each person focusing on their own part of the whole sound effect. I believe that this is why music can be so powerful.

I have played in concert band, jazz band, and many other musical groups, but I know that I enjoy when percussion is emphasized the most in music. Last year, in percussion ensemble, I loved the rhythms we played as a group. But, that was before I knew what a real drum and bugle corps was. The first show I went to, I was very excited. I wasn’t sure what to expect. As the show began, I couldn’t believe my eyes or ears. The Phantom Regiment finished the show with the crowd going wild and leaving me absolutely awestruck. How can they do it! The teamwork involved takes so much effort to accomplish. It was the most amazing thing that happened to me last summer.

At first, the idea of me being in such an awesome organization seemed very distant. Now, I know what needs to be done. Being in Drum Corps International is much harder than it seems. It is not some high school marching band in a parade. It is so much more. It is a life experience that will make you a stronger, better person. A person who knows hard work and what you get in the end.

My goal is to march for a division one corps. I heard that this summer experience will change you forever. I heard that you practice 14-16 hours a day 6-7 days a week. But I watched the shows for myself, and I can see me now at the World Championship. The drumline is in perfect unison and the trumpets are blaring. Maybe not in 2008, but in the future, I will be a part of this wonderful opportunity.

Music brings people together to accomplish unbelievable things. As a group, all challenges can be hurdled, and everyone has a unified vision, a team goal. Music changes people’s lives every day. I want to be a part of it. In a division one corps, with all the training, practicing, and moving, everyone is a part in the same struggle, the same cause, the same passion: music.