The Stars are Aligned

Kevin - Western Springs, Illinois
Themes: sports

It was in the year of 1907, the Chicago Cubs were facing the Detroit Tigers in the World Series. The Cubs came away with the championship. The following year of 1908, the defending champs were back once again to face Detroit. It was the first time in baseball history to have a back to back rematch of the same exact teams in the World Series. The Cubs once again came away victorious. Since then they haven’t won a World Series.

In the 1945 World Series, a Greek Immigrant by the name of Billy Sianis, brought his pet goat along to game four of the World Series. During the game, Billy and his pet goat Murphy were kicked out of Wrigley Field due to the horrible odor Murphy brought along with him. Sianis placed a curse on the Cubs, stating that they would never win another World Series at Wrigley Field. From his home in Greece, Sianis sent a letter to Wrigley that read, “Who stinks now?”

Since Sammy Sosa’s corked bat incident in 2003 the Chicago Cubs have received a lot of criticism from the media and from fans. With Dusty Baker gone to San Diego and our new manager Lou Pinella here in Chicago approaching the new 2007 season, fans were happy. By signing Alfonso Soriano for a 136 million 8 year contract, Northsiders really got excited. The Cubs have had a season batting average of .271, which is 12th in the whole league out of 30 teams. Their pitching has been stupendous, 4th lowest runs allowed per game, and the most strikeouts in the whole league. That’s pretty amazing. Some crucial injuries hit the Cubs this season, but they still pulled through to keep on winning their games.

I believe that the Cubs will win the World Series this year. This past summer my friend and I went downtown to see a Cubs game early in July, 78 degrees and clear. Chicago was playing the Washington Nationals, Alfonso Soriano’s old team. I was sure happy to have him on our side instead of theirs. The Cubs came out strong right away and scored seven runs in the first four innings. It was one of those games your going crazy and having a great time. I personally have never seen their hitting, pitching, and fielding.

look so good.

On a superstitious note, the White Sox who haven’t been in last place for over the past 3 years have hit rock bottom and are fighting the Kansas City Royal for the 2nd to last place title. We all know our good old friend Steve Bartman won’t dear show his face in Wrigley Field ever again. The stars are aligned and the Cubs are due to win the World Series.