Helly - Greeley, Colorado
Themes: family, gratitude

“This I Believe…”

“A happy family can be any family.” Most of the people in the world might say that family is the most valuable aspect of their life. I would say that family is one of the key elements to live a happy life, but some cases it may not seem like it at the time. These cases could involve family violence, pressure, and ignorance.

For example, my family has had their ups and downs, and from those experiences I have learned many things about family that is important. I have five family members; I am the oldest and only girl of the tree kids. I have two younger brothers. My oldest brother is a freshman and other younger brother is six years younger than me. A few years ago, my mom and dad would fight for no reason. I would see this fight, but it never got out of hand. If it did, I would always have the master bedroom phone in my hands. My two brothers would be locked in the bathroom. I could hear them whispering from the place I was standing. I would be on the top of the stairs overseeing the actions of my parents. My parents were always arguing in the kitchen. During this loud conversation, I could have smelled something burning, it smelled like a burning corn tortilla. I didn’t pay attention to it because I cared more about the safety of my parents.

Although I have not experience any violence before, I was forced to hold a phone in my hands. The one reason that I was holding the phone it was because you can always expect the unexpected. You never will know what might happen. The unexpected happened to me, my parents end up divorcing. My father now has another family in Mexico with a wife and soon two children. He had this family before divorcing from my mom. I would not want to meet this family, but the children don’t have to suffer for the action of their parents. I miss how my family used to be, now I realized that my family is better and anybody can be part of it. There are no arguments like there used to be. If I can choose any family that I want, it would be the one that I already have.

I believe if I have a family or even a close friend, I should take advantage of it, because any kind of family can be happy. There are going to be bad times, but then you will continue with your life and be happy, things happened, you just have to deal with it.

To sum it all up, each family is different, and it’s contently changing, even if you don’t want to. Loving and appreciate everything that it became and what it might become is all that I can do for it. Because either way I will be part of it, it’s my place in life. One thing that my mom is always telling me is “there is no place in the world where you’re going to be treated like your family.” I believe in this statement. Just remember this; your family is unique.