In the Love between Siblings

Natalie - LaGrange Park, Illinois

Ever since I was little I have always fought with my brother. He is three years older than me and I guess, “I got annoying sometimes….” He would complain about having to wait after school to walk me home when I was younger and I would always cry when he forgot me. We fought about who got to pick what to watch on TV and we would fight about who got to use the bathroom first in the morning.

As we grew older, we became closer and closer. I would talk to him more and we understood each other. We were still three years apart, but it didn’t seem like it. He knew just how I was going to feel when he left and I became an “only child.” We had a lot more laughs than fights, but of coarse we still had our arguments.

Last month, in the beginning of August, the dreaded day came where my brother would leave for his first year of college. When everything was packed and ready to go, we all said our goodbyes. We had bought him some going away presents and a card and as we gave them to him I started to tear up. I tried to hold it in as much as could at first, but that didn’t seem to work. He started to read the card and towards the end he began to cry for the only time I have ever seen him cry. Well, minus the obvious times such as when my dog died, grandma died and when he got his appendix taken out, but never for something like this and that just made me cry harder. After my parents and other brother gave him their hugs, he looked at me and wrapped his arms around me.

I knew that it would be a sad moment, but I had never pictured it like it actually happened. He was still crying while saying, “I’m gonna miss you Nat.” At that point I cried harder repeating what he said while squeezing his chest. I believe in the love between siblings no matter how much they fight. Even though we fought all those years and all those times in my life, I know that we still love each other and would do anything for each other.