I Believe in Laughter

Marnie - LaGrange, Illinois

I believe in the power of laughter; a simple sound that can cause so much joy and meaning.

While it may not seem like much, laughter can make a huge impact on another person. Share a hearty laugh with some one else, and you are instantly closer, bonding over a great display of one’s inner self and emotions. Laughter is a cure. Best of all, it is easy to laugh; one of the simple gifts of life that everyone can have.

I love to laugh. It instantly puts me at ease with new people, and it is great time spent when I laugh with those I’ve known for ages. Laughter has helped me make many friends, and to keep them too. We can spend ages just laughing together, and I think that is wonderful.

Laughter is also very important in my family. It’s so nice over the holidays when my older brothers are home from college; the house is just filled with laughter. Laughing makes us communicate on a basic level, and that helps keep our family bonds strong. When my younger brother was little, one of the things he and I would do together was trying to make each other laugh. It was a really easy game. Laughter is something that brings us together; that keeps us together.

I also think that laughter helps bring strangers together, not just the people I know and love. People go to comedy clubs to laugh with other people; a similar reason can be found when people go to see comedies at the theatre or movie theatre. It is important for people to laugh together, because it demonstrates their humanity. I believe that laughter is one of our primal instincts; maybe more instilled in us than the need to cry, or be angry.

I believe that the power of laughter should be used for the good of the world. I love to laugh at my problems, and it helps me find a way to fix them. Even when I pretend to laugh at them, it helps because sometimes it is funny enough to make me laugh for real. I think that if people everywhere would stop and laugh with each other for just a moment, that we would have a lot less war and strife around the world.

I believe in the power of laughter. Laughing is a huge part of my life. I am probably going to start laughing soon after reading this; maybe you will too. I believe in laughter as a primal instinct and something I’ll be doing for the rest of my days. Mostly, I believe in laughter as a cure, and as a bond between humans.