Brett - Brookfield, Illinois
Themes: nature, pleasure

I believe summer is too short. It’s the one time of the year where we don’t have to do what other people tell us. We don’t have to go to science class at 9:30 and then math at 10:30. We can sleep through mid afternoon and stay up as late as we feel or just until we fall asleep. We can eat what we want, not just what food is on the menu for the day. We don’t have to worry if we studied for this test or did all the problems in the math book. We can just do just what we feel like.

I believe summer is too short considering we spend late August to early June locked inside school and only get left with two and half good months to have fun and relax. The weekends during school just don’t compare to the ones in summer. During the school year you get two nights to have fun and one day spent doing homework and studying for a test or quiz coming up. But that will never happen to us in summer because there is no homework to do. No boring explanation on how the body works. No going to some class we absolutely hate with a teacher that lulls you to sleep with his or her speeches in the front of the class. No going to your locker trying to spend as little time getting books so you can get to your next class on time. A good summer is one spent sleeping and eating, not in school unless of course you need to free up a little space for next school year.

The summers get better every year for me. I meet new people and go everywhere I can. I just live for that one week in early summer to go some place so much warmer like the cruise I went on last year. I went to the beach, just relaxed, and snorkeled with my brothers, which are always hilarious, in the almost too warm waters of the Caribbean and then went back to the buffet to chow down on everything they would put out. All the fun times spent during the summer with family and friends start to come back to memory as summer gets closer and closer or, as of now farther and farther away. Through the cold months of December and January just waiting and wanting those hot days when you just feel like doing nothing and just being plain lazy. Those are the days worth waiting for, and the ones that I believe should last a little bit longer.