Megan - Western Springs, Illinois

On my first day in London, my family did what any jet-lagged tourist would, / sit on a big red double-decker tour bus all day. I saw Big Ben, the Tower of London and Buckingham Palace. When the bus slowed at St. Peter’s Cathedral, I looked up and saw (Look up) what appeared to be people at the top of the cathedral’s giant dome. The tour guide then exclaimed (look up and point ) “Oh look! They’re letting people up there again!” With that exclamation, I could see the stubborn look on my dad’s face which meant I would be climbing to the top of the church.

The next morning, my family headed toward that extravagant church, and within the hour I was climbing toward the peak of the cathedral. It seemed that my father had not expected that the stairs were made for people in the middle ages,/ meaning 5 foot ceilings and small steps, / or maybe he even forgot that in order to build stairs climbing up a dome one must construct winding stairs (Point finger and wind up toward the ceiling) around the perimeter. The whole family had to suffer for his misjudgement.

After two hours of knee-bending hell, w e r e a c h e d t h e t o p . < The gorgeous view, however,/ was blocked by a gaggle of German college students. < It didn’t help that I am afraid of heights and claustrophobic. (nervously) I started to have a panic attack and hyperventilating. I WANTED OUT OF THAT SMALL CONFINEMENT FILLED WITH SWEATY PEOPLE. I flew down the stairs and amazingly, it only took me an hour to reach the ground floor (recompose). Therefore, // I believe in elevators. Without them the handicapped and the extremely lazy would not be able to see views like those on top of St. Paul’s Cathedral. The ability to descend down multiple stories in minutes and quickly reach minor emergencies would be impossible. The elevator is a valuable modern day invention that should be adapted to ancient architecture.