Grace E. - Portland, Oregon

I believe in the power of lessons learned from horrible things that can happen in life. I believe I am a spiritual being having a spiritual experience. In 1980, in my late 40’s, I bottomed out from drug and alcohol addiction, put a gun to my head and pulled the trigger. I was too drunk to load the gun correctly. I came to from a blackout and realized I needed help, ended up in AA and have 28 years sobriety now. I am able to work in the juvenile justice and prison system with young people that are struggling with drug/alcohol addiction. I do this for free because I freely got in touch with my true authentic spiritual self through the Grace of the Great Mystery Power. I am grateful for every day I live and serve my fellow addicts. I believe there is a noble being lurking beneath the darkest being and all it takes to allow the nobility to emerge is to find a way to reach for the love that surrounds us all. That hand reached for me when I was in the darkness and I now am that hand reaching to those who will accept. All I have to do is stay light one day at a time.