Tamara - Countryside, Illinois

This, I Believe

This, I believe. I believe in feeling another’s pain. The bond you form with someone so close, telling a major problem from a minor problem is as natural as your daily routine. Understanding the needs of that person, as well as how to react in each of their situations. I’m talking about a bond so close, that you’ll drop everything and run so that the world won’t hurt her.

This, I believe started when I met her. The fifth grade couldn’t have been anymore wonderfully strange as we shared interests, secrets, and hair ties. Our fights lasted ten minutes at most, because they tore us in half, and then in half again, leaving us to shreds until we recovered with one another.

This, I believe I realized closer a few years later. She was not in school. My heart burned and twisted until my nerves fell numb and my brain began to swell. This was not a sick day, something was definitely wrong, and I could detect is doubtlessly. I hurt and wondered all day, hearing rumors from others that needed confirmation. You think, Oh, no, another boy drama, who gives? But let me tell you, you are absolutely…right. The important thing is, she was hurt. It doesn’t matter how or why. All that matters is, it happened.

This, I believe sank her insides and made it hard to breathe. It was the kind of pain that left you speechless and any words you could possibly say would only be poisoned in shock. Not only did he leave her after a long dating period with a worthless excuse, he did it in a harsh way. Hearing the confirmed rumors with her on the phone, I cried at how useless she felt, wishing I could hug her and tell her how many people loved and appreciated her, but knowing that only time could heal her from the heartache. My words could maybe dent at it, so I did the best I could.

This, I believe that I wanted to help her not only because she’s my friend, but because I could not be serene with myself until her faith in love and the world was rescued. I didn’t have to be told how hurt she was, I could feel it worse than as if he had done the same thing to me.

This, I believe brought us closer together and continues to do so as we grow up and together. Even the middle of a ten minute fight couldn’t stop me from helping her in something as simple as homework aide or as major as a death. Or even to see one of her plays as she is an amazing actress. Anything she needs, all she has to do is turn around and I’ve got her backed up.

This, I believe.