Becky - annandale, Virginia

Oh. My. God. I can’t breath, there’s not enough time to unbuckle the seatbelt, but before I unbuckle the seatbelt I need to roll down the window. Before I roll down the window I must determine where the button is. Before I find the button I need to realize what on earth is going on. How did I get into this vehicle and why am I trapped?

It hits you like a brick when you’re in school. All of it: education, future, family, adolescence, and the strongest urge to get the hell out of your house and explore the world that you’ve been hearing so much about for the past however many years. It seems our world is too fast now, we learn, we test, we learn, we test, we move on. Repeat. In the midst of this we experiment with our social skills and balance family with growing up. It feels as if everything needs to get done right this instant. There’s no time tomorrow. Tomorrow must be used for something else just as important as today’s issue.

Time is everything on this piece of rock which we live on. It determines the moment in which a gathering must meet, how much wisdom a person has, the number of seconds you wasted listening to a child voice their opinion. So what happens when your minutes must equal seconds, or so it seems? You have no time to think, breath, or sleep, right? Right.

I believe that the trick to really growing up and learning is to take it slow. Slow is good, in my book. Slow can show you more intricate details and provide you with more thoughts and interpretations of these details as your hours go by. Life in the fast lane really isn’t what it’s cracked up to be. We get so caught up in the racetracks that we forget why we’re actually racing. In fact, most people don’t even know why they’re racing in the first place.

If we keep locking ourselves up into a box which is going 6.37 thousand miles an hour we’ll suffocate ourselves throughout the process and when we finally reach the surface of our suffering, we wont remember half of what we’ve “learned”. It’s simply too much to actually be efficient for the age. Slow motion enhances feelings, facts and thought processes so much more than speeding up timelines. I believe in detailed discussions, endless coffee breaks, and daydreaming.