ashley - lagrange, Illinois

I BELIEVE YOU CANNOT JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER. Everyday people are judged by their appearance or sex without even having a chance to portray themselves in the way they want to. It takes true character to look past it and take the time to get to know the real person inside. I believe that society bases too many things on appearance and should focus more on personality and true talent.

People who judge a person before they know them are unwilling to learn about the person that is waiting to come out. I am not saying that I have never judged anyone, but I always make sure that it does not affect how I think of the person. I make sure I push those thoughts aside to give myself a chance to see the person dwelling within. Sometimes it isn’t easy, but it has to be done.

ALL MY LIFE I HAVE BEEN JUDGED BY MY GENDER. I cannot stand when people say I cannot do something because I am a girl or my job is just to stand there and look pretty. It makes me feel like I am incapable of really establishing who I am because he or she already has an idea of their own. I remember one time in the eighth grade I was at the only coed track meet of the season and this coach from another team bluntly told me that there was no way that I could beat could beat his runner because I was a girl. His comment frustrated me to no end and made me even more determined to show him I WAS CAPABLE. The coach’s remark made me push myself even harder during the race and I beat his runner. On that day I realized that no matter what, I will be judged for the rest of my life because of my appearance and gender. I think it is unfair, but there is nothing I can do about it. The things I can do are learn to accept that this will happen to me and use it to make me more determined.

The only way to grow as a person from comments made or left unsaid is to use them to prove the person wrong. They should be used as a foundation for increasing a person’s confidence and self esteem.