Practice, Practice, and More Practice

Austin - LaGrange, Illinois

As the end of summer going in to my freshman year rolled around, golf season was just underway. Both the freshman/sophomore and varsity teams had been made finally and there were ten guys on both teams. Being a freshman, I was on the fresh/soph team and had started the year on a high note by having a good tryout. But as the fast, enjoyable season moved on, it was starting to become clear to the coaches and the rest of my teammates that I was not one of our stronger players. Although I wasn’t far off from our top guys score-wise, it wasn’t hard to notice that I was weaker and less consistent than the sophomores and a few of the freshman. I still got to play a lot but it disappointed me not being in my team’s top six guys for matches and tournaments every time.

As I kept working and trying to improve my game, my scores started getting better towards the end of the season. After just barely missing out of the top six to go to the conference tournament, I told myself right then that I was going to dedicate a lot of time and effort the next spring and summer to improving my golf game. I made myself a goal immediately, and that was to become a leader and one of the top guys for the freshman/sophomore team the next year. And I knew there was only one way I could achieve my goal.

I believe that to improve at anything you do, whether it’s a sport or any other type of skill, you need to practice and commit yourself to that certain skill. I’ve been told my whole life that you can always get better at the sport(s) you play and that you can’t ever practice too much. It’s impossible.

That is why I made the decision to focus especially hard on golf this summer. I played again and again. I took lessons, went to the driving range and the putting green. I did basically all a golfer can do to try to work on their game. And before I knew it, tryouts for my sophomore year came. I knew that this year I was ready to be one of the best as a sophomore, as a leader.

I look back at how I spent my time this past spring and summer and I thank myself for giving the work ethic in golf that I did. Because it made me the freshman/sophomore teams number one golfer by the middle of the season. And now I am currently playing some matches and tournaments with the varsity team. I had no idea that in less than a year I could transform myself from an average golfer on the team to a first place conference tournament finisher.

This is the reason why I believe that practice, practice, and more practice is the only way to greatly improve yourself in a skill. You’ll surprise yourself sometimes with the drastic changes and achievements you can gain through some hard work. That is exactly what I did to myself through golf, and I love it.