Alexa - LaGrange, Illinois

I believe in challenging yourself to become stronger as a person and expanding your knowledge of who you really are is a great feeling.

One race in Cross Country at our home course I was running without any of my teammates. I knew I would have to run it by myself. I saw ahead two girls wearing red from another team looking strong. Right there I made a goal to stick with them to the end. They were running a faster pace than normal for me, but I challenged myself to keep with them. Towards the end I knew the hardest part was coming up, I would have to pass them before the finish. At this point I was exhausted. I felt the agony of the run and told myself I could do this. I sped up and the girls followed. So I met the challenge and sprinted to the finish where I could only stagger afterwards. I had beaten the girls when I thought it was impossible to do.

During this race there was many times when I wanted to give up. But I believe that you can’t just stop what you are doing because it is hard. When you challenge yourself the result is the best part. All those weeks I worked hard at practice improving my running abilities paid off. In completing the challenge I found out how I could push myself to run even faster than I knew I could.

Everyday each person has little challenges that they need to overcome. One that seems simple to one person may be hard for another. Each challenge is something different and unique to a person. The only thing that does matter is to tackle it and accomplish something that you thought could not be done. Through meeting a challenge people develop themselves and can find out who they truly are. It can make you grow as a person and it acquires you to put effort into the things you do.

I look ahead to the challenges of everyday life. One reason I love Cross Country so much is to confront something difficult. Right now I might just be racing against another team. But later when I am not running I can still use this quality to help me become successful and happy.