Victoria - Western Springs, Illinois

When I was 5 years old, my mom and dad worked full time. They decided to hire a nanny that had been recommended to my parents by close friends. Her name was Purtia and she was from Sweden. Purita was interviewed by my parents and they decided to give her the job. Shortly after Purita arrived in the United States she had to return to Sweden. My parents were very upset by the news and began searching for another nanny. Purita was sorry she had to leave so soon, and recommended a friend of hers, Berith. My parents did not have any other choice, so they decided to hire Berith for one month. If after one month, things did not work out, Berith understood that she would go back to Sweden. My parents did not get a chance to interview Berith, like they had Purita, so they were very anxious to meet her.

Standing in the airport, my parents looked very tense. We had been waiting for Berith’s flight to land for an hour and we were excited to finally meet her. Soon enough, Berith walked out of the gate and found our family patiently waiting for her arrival. My parents introduced themselves to Berith, and then introduced her to my sister, my brother, and me. As my parents began to talk to Berith about her flight, they would have never imagined that Berith would soon become a very special part of our family.

I believe that people come into our lives for a reason. I believe that because of Purita, we were able to meet Berith and have a life-long friendship. Berith babysat for my family for one full year. We all cried the day she returned to Sweden. After her first year, she returned to Sweden and continued to come back to stay with our family, four to five times a year. When Berith arrived, she always filled her suitcase with tons of Swedish candies and gifts that we always looked forward to enjoy. Each time Berith came, she would take each of us out for the day, to a movie, lunch, or whatever we wanted. Berith became very close to me, almost like my second mom. We fell in love with Berith and everyone around us did too. Our friends and family always enjoyed when Berith came to our family parties, and my friends looked forward to coming over when they knew Berith was here. She now lives in Sweden with her family. This year she is coming with her husband and children to visit in June.

I believe that Berith was placed in our lives by fate. When Purita left, my family went through a hard time, but when that door closed another door was opened and Berith come into our lives. Berith had a huge impact on my family and will always have a special place in our hearts.