Ryan - Western Springs, Illinois

“This I Believe”

I believe in having something to believe in. It is the driving force of our nation, our world, and our existence. Without the ability to believe, there is no telling where we would be today. It is because of the brilliant figures of history who believed in something, an idea, a way of life, anything really, that we are as far along as we are here in two-thousand and seven. So whether it was a belief in something as broad and defying as the shape of our earth, or the belief in equal rights, or something as miniscule as the belief that you will get an “A” on this paper, it is a belief nonetheless, and we are fortunate to hold this great power and be able to use it to propel ourselves forward.

It is a rather difficult thing to express just how important the system of believing is. When you think about the actual question of what it is that you believe in, there are literally infinite possibilities for subjects. Because of the vast responses that people jump on when first asked a question such as this, it is very easy to skip over or miss the main reason that this question even exists and to start jotting down things that are most important to you right now.

I view the system of belief as a great big tree. Like many other “Tree analogies”, I think of the trunk of the tree as the central point and all of the different branches, twigs, and leaves as other topics that turn into subtopics and then finally, individual ideas. My point is that the trunk of the tree is very often missed, not fully credited, and sometimes altogether disregarded, when in fact without the trunk, the tree would never have grown any of its large branches, twigs, and leaves.

The ability to believe has always been and, I believe, will always be the sole reason for innovation, advancement, and all around growth. This awesome system has been around for as long as the human race has but I believe that it has been greatly overlooked. This may not come as a shock to you right away, but take a minute to think about the facts. The dependence on belief systems takes place all around us. For instance, religion places a great deal of their teachings on faith, otherwise known as believing.

Other things in our everyday lives incorporate the use of belief too. Belief in a sports team to win a game, belief in yourself or a friend to do well in school or an activity, or simply the belief that an actor or actress will be funny in an upcoming film. We miss that the whole reason that we can say something like, “I believe in family”, or “I believe in heritage” is because the idea to believe is there.

Here in the twenty-first century, we have come so far, even in the last thirty years. I believe in having something to believe in so that we can continue to move forward and so that our children and theirs can each have something different to believe in.