I Believe in Music

Mark - Western Springs, Illinois

I BELIEVE IN MUSIC. Music is the best way for me to get away from the chaos of life. If I’ve had a bad day I go home and blast my music until my ears hurt.

My love of music started in second grade when I first started playing the piano. I always got a great feeling of success and accomplishment when I played a new song for the first time. That feeling didn’t last forever. I grew bored with the piano pretty quickly. In fourth grade, I quit playing piano and started playing upright bass in my elementary school’s orchestra. I liked that more because it wasn’t just me playing alone and I learned how to play as a group. Plus, If I messed up there was a good chance that someone else did too.

In sixth grade, I wanted to quit playing the bass too but my mom said that I need “art” and “culture” in my life so I convinced her to let me play bass guitar. Unfortunately, she would only let me play bass guitar if I also stayed in the orchestra at McClure for all three years. So for three years I toughed out playing that fifty pound instrument that was six inches taller than me. Luckily, my mom didn’t make me do it in high school because she didn’t make my sister play the violin after eighth grade either. That was the first day that I started to like my sister a little bit.

FINALLY THOUGH I GOT TO PLAY BASS GUITAR. I was always excited every Monday night when I got to go learn a new song, chord, or even just a simple note. That same great feeling of success and accomplishment from four years earlier came back to me and this time it didn’t go away. I had finally found the instrument that I wouldn’t quit on. I still love to come home, finish my homework, and play my favorite songs that I love to listen to. Whenever I hear a song that I like on the radio or that a friend as showed me, the first thing I do is find the bass part online and teach it to myself . Once I think I’ve mastered it I take it to my teacher and make sure that I have gotten it right.

Music is my escape. I know that I will always love music and I will keep playing guitar until my fingers can’t bend. Whenever I hear that one good song that then turns into my favorite song, I always feel better no matter how crumby I felt just seconds before.