Margaret - LaGrange Park, Illinois

We all have our bad days. The kind of bad days that you need someone that really knows you to cheer you up with one of their jokes or a memory that you both shared together. A kind of memory that makes both of you grab your sides and wipe your eyes because you are laughing so hard. Everyone needs someone like this. That’s why I believe in friendship.

Friendship is an important part of everyone’s daily life. I see my friends every day either at school or out of school. I know that if I need them, they will always be there for me to cheer me up. I also know that I can do the same for them. A true friend always can tell when something is wrong because their friend is not acting like their normal selves. One time, my friend was having a bad day. She felt really terrible. Normally she likes to keep her emotions to herself, but she could not do that this time. I could tell that she was really upset because she was not acting like she normally does. So, I did what any normal friend would do. I went up to her, gave her a hug, and took her mind off of what was bothering her by completely changing the subject to something that would make her happy again. I did anything that I could. I mentioned that song that one of our coaches rapped to and starting listening to it on her Ipod. I told her that I knew that next time she would do so much better in her race and she would leave everyone in the dust. She was herself again in about two minutes. My friends also do this for me. One day I was feeling just awful about everything that was going on with my other friends, my family, and my schoolwork. My best friend knew that I was not being myself lately, so she invited me over to her house. We ended up catching popcorn in our mouths and drinking Kool-aid. I was being so obnoxious with her that I was cheered up and everything that was going on just did not seem like such a big deal anymore.

Friendship is one of those things that makes everyone feel good about themselves. This is because I know that I can help someone almost everyday. Every one needs friendship or else life is just not worth living. This, I believe.