Valerie - Countryside, Illinois

The gut feeling people get is often one that prevents a situation, or in some cases, saves a life. Many find it simple to say that it was a family member or a beloved one watching over them from Heaven above. There is no way that I believe in guardian angels. I believe in my intuition, often believed to be the sixth sense.

As terrorist attacks became more and more common all over countries, security of course, became more thorough. Nowadays, when there is a will, there is a way, and some people stop at nothing to complete the task they desire.

As an older Girl Scout, I had the rare opportunity to travel to London with a group of fellow scouts for two weeks. Being in a country across the world from my hometown was rather overwhelming, so I took advantage of as much as humanly possible. I forced all the dreadful thoughts out of my head, knowing I’d completely freak out if anything were to happen. Not a single one of us girls ever thought about possibilities other than ones with a positive outcome for the entire trip.

During our last night before departing Europe’s paradise, our troop leader directed all of us to pack our belongings into our suitcases so we could get an early start to Heathrow Airport the next morning.

As I shoved mounds of countless tee-shirts, snow globes and country souvenirs into my stuffed luggage bag, a sharp pain overtook my entire body, and a mystifying voice in my head whispered, “Do NOT set your alarm clock”. I knew that my leader would be furious, but I listened to that voice, and went directly to bed.

The next morning, I awoke to pounding fists on my locked door. Immediately, I pounced out of bed and glanced at my clock. Wasn’t our flight supposed to leave at 8:00? It was now nearly 10:30 AM. I could only imagine what people would say about my “lack of responsibility”, and I opened the door as girls piled into my tiny cubicle of a room.

I was not in trouble at all. In fact, because of one gut feeling, I saved the terror of a liquid bomb on our airplane. Because of the more common terrorism, our flight could have easily been targeted as a murder scene.

Now, whenever I get that same feeling and hear that familiar whisper, I remember to thank it. I know it’s my intuition telling me what will happen. Premonition such as this is worth treasuring. This, I believe.