Belly like Jelly

Carly - Lake Forest, Illinois

I believe in Santa Claus. Yes I know this sounds rather childish-and naïve…but the idea of Santa Claus is too engaging to pass over as a youthful wish. Honestly, one man with twelve reindeer and a sleigh could not possibly get gifts to all 378 million Christian homes by Christmas morning. And while I have pondered the idea of him asking the Easter bunny and Jack Frost for help, it just seems down right ludicrous that Santa could have left the north pole, traveled all the way to Lake Forest, and then carried on to Egypt while growing increasingly heavier. Laws of physics prevent this.

But one must take into consideration that Santa Claus actually has thirty-one hours to work with as opposed to twenty-four. This occurs because of time zones and the rotation of the earth. Christopher Whitt’s homepage discusses the relativity of Santa’s speed. If Santa is swift, he has 1/1000th of a second to make a delivery, eat the cookies, and leave. This is not entirely impossible…if string theory exists anyway…In order to deliver that fast, his sleigh must travel 650 miles per second, which is 3,000 times the speed of sound. The centrifugal forces would pin a 250 pound Santa Claus down by 4,315,015 pounds. The 214,200 reindeer necessary to pull a sleigh probably weighing more than 321,300 tons would burn into flame due to wind resistance levels similar to that of a landing space craft and would be incinerated in under 4.26 thousandths of a second.

So you must be thinking…. Why do you believe in this? (Or maybe you were thinking how is he alive?)

There are those of us who complain about the commercialism of the holidays…but is it really all bad? Does the season not bring out compassion or selflessness in others? Is it not a time of family and coming together? I understand that Christmas time has lost touch on many principles of the original idea…but for those who receive a letter just to say hi, or an anonymous loan when times are tight, or even a smile when all seems bleak…isn’t that an example of who Saint Nicholas was supposed to represent? So why get rid of this idea when he lives in all of us? If that doesn’t strike you as being true, you at least got to visualize a fat man traveling in a sleigh at 39,000 miles an hour.

I believe in Santa Claus existing because it is better than not believing. A logical person can suspend reason that having compassion and love are honorable traits. If we can take the leap of faith, we can better the human condition by applying the Santa “Clause,” if you will. Though we are all aware that there is no jolly, fat man bringing us gifts at 822.6 stops per second, I think that we can all agree that there is a little bit of Santa in us all.

(Thanks to Google and Christopher Whitt’s website for my stats.)