Zachary - Lake Bluff, Illinois
Themes: sports

Ever since I could walk, I’ve had a certain fascination with sports. Whether it’s sitting on my couch watching a ball game with my dad, or if it’s playing a pick up game of football with the guys, sports are always a part of my life. The one team I love the most in this world is the Chicago Cubs. Without a winning season in 100 years, the Cubs are arguably the hardest team to be a fan of in Major League Baseball. Many games end with the Cubs giving up 7 runs in the bottom of the 9th and losing a game that they had been winning for the previous 8 innings. Being a Cubs fan, there is only one thing aggravates me more than Sox fans: fair-weather fans. I believe in being a loyal fan.

A fair-weather fan is a person that always likes the team that is doing the best in a particular sport. These types of fans are constantly flip-flopping teams. They have one team that they claim to like, but after that teams season starts to slip down the drain, they immediately switch their loyalties to another team. Right after the Chicago White Sox got to the World Series in 2005, several of the “Cubs fans” at my high school suddenly became “Chicago fans”. I even knew a few people who before the 2005 World Series would have said that they hated the Sox, but after, they claimed to always have been Sox fans.

Whether a person is a fair-weather fan or a loyal fan can tell a great deal about that person’s character. If someone sticks with a team through thick and thin, that person is obviously more loyal than a person who changes teams every year. A loyal fan is also probably a harder worker. It is sometimes very difficult to stay with a team (especially the Cubs) for long periods of time. Loyal fans have to deal with the ups and downs of a team’s season and these fans show great perseverance. On the other hand, the fair-weather fans are more likely to take the easy way out not give 100% effort. In school, these people will look for the way to get work done with the least effort, even if it comes down to cheating and copying the work from the honest, loyal fan.

Tonight I will go home from school and cheer for the team that I love. If they win, I will rejoice. And if they lose, I will go home from school tomorrow, and cheer for the team that I love.