Ben - Lake Bluff, Illinois

In order for myself to feel that I am totally involved in my life I must be doing a multiple of activities that are all different from each other. Its not so I can meet new people or feel like I’ve changed the world for better. Its so I feel that I have satisfied each part of me that wants to be doing something new and interesting from what ever else I’m doing. I feel as though participating in many different activities such as soccer, madrigals, or just hanging with my friends gives me more energy and reason to then focus in on my schoolwork and life in general. Its when I’m doing all of these events that I realize that in order to keep doing them you must work hard in school and some day at work. It has taken me some time to realize this truth, but looking back at my life I can see that the times when I was happier is when I was out doing multiple things. The spring of my sophomore year I was playing two different sports, singing in and outside of school, and just hanging out with my friends. At this point in time I realized I must focus so much more than I ever would at any other time and this is when I enjoy life the most. I believe this focus brings out the best in me. I am involved in many ways and I am enjoying life like I always imagined it. I take pleasure in running around almost feeling overwhelmed with everything that is going on than to “coast” threw every day.

I do realize that there are down periods where I’m not doing much. During these times I feel like doing nothing, no matter how bad it must be done. I know that I could get that good grade if I just study for twenty minutes, but I haven’t experienced that enjoyment that makes me want to. I just can’t bring myself to try my hardest in school and in life, but with these periods of “torture” I see now that experiencing these hard times will allow me to enjoy the good even more.

I can’t easily create excitement just by doing one thing because I become bored without complexity in my life. There must be many different exciting things happening so I can think about all of them instead of burning myself out on one of them. I would much rather do a bunch of things that I find mildly interesting than any one single thing by itself. Without a diversity of activities I do not enjoy life and do not exceed to the potential that I know is possible.