Claire - Lake Forest, Illinois

Everybody loves Brahms.

I believe that music transcends all boundaries. Some people would say that math and laughter are the universal languages but I disagree. Math is very difficult to understand and it is extremely easy to come to the wrong conclusion; likewise laughter can be misinterpreted. But music; music transcends race, age, religion, and language. Anyone can relate to a song because of the pure emotion behind it. An artist puts their deepest and most passionate beliefs into their work and passion is something that anyone, educated or not, young or old, rich or poor can understand. The main reason that I believe in music so fiercely is unity. Music has the ability to unite people all over the world. No matter who you are or where you live, there is a song that you can relate to. Music shows all of humanity that they are not alone.

Live Aid. Farm Aid. Live Earth. Hundreds of thousands of people, from every corner of the globe, watched these rema rkable concerts. These concerts brought so many people from different backgrounds together, merging them under the importance of a common goal. Helping the global community. Without the help of music, these huge feats of charity and selflessness would never have happened. Music is the glue that binds mankind.

I am a musician, I think that music is the most powerful force on earth; stronger than war, more intense than words alone, more potent than time itself. Brahms, Beethoven, Mozart, J.S. or J.C. Bach; they lived hundreds of years ago and people still love and are moved by their compositions. There are songs that have been passed from generation to generation, their message is still heard and still resonates with our generation.

I eat, breathe, and smell music. It is my life, my love, and sometimes I think it is the only truly good thing there is in our world. From the most meager of protest songs to the most decadent opera, music is a part of my soul; it is fused into the deepest part of my very being, the place where my true self lies. I know that saying, “one great song can change the world” would be an enormous cliché, but people wouldn’t say it if they did not believe it to be true. I believe that music has the power to erase the lines that divide people. I believe that music transcends all things.