Jimmy - Lake Forest, Illinois

I feel that we don’t ask enough questions. We tend to accept everything as is with no concern for a logical explanation. The idea seems so vague, but it can be applied to so many facets of existence.

Things are simply handed to us, ready to power on and operate. Everything is expected to just work. This expectation is so religious that when what is expected to function properly fails, we become incompetent and helpless. When the technology dies, life ceases. Ever been screaming uncontrollably “The Computer is dead!”? The head comes off the chicken every now and then. Unfortunately, humanity never seems to have a backup plan. Our chicken is stuck in a perpetual cycle of birth, decapitation, frantic and chaotic flailing, death, and rebirth when we pay someone else to fix it all. I believe in a certain level of self sufficiency.

In another aspect of life, we like to blindly accept faith. Religion is about not only knowing what you believe in, but understanding that which you believe. In a world of extremism, I see that mankind never stops to question its faith. The thought seems so negative; questioning that which you must place the ultimate faith in. And yet, blind faith is incomplete faith; a trust that lacks significance. Religion requires a certain leap into the dark and it’s important to pause and examine why you will continue to embrace the commitment of leaping. The danger of not performing this is clear in all of the perpetual conflict around the globe. I believe in questioning the magician… even if I know I can’t know the secret to the tricks.

This same principle applies to the rest of our surroundings outside our own sacred and personal faith as well. I see a country trying to remember why it’s fighting a war, struggling to create a new purpose in a conflict that wanders aimlessly in an unattainable direction. I believe it to be the single most important human crisis of our time; hundreds of thousands of innocent people massacred by our nation. We all boo the present, but does anyone stop and question the past? If we look back on it, the one question that comes to mind is: “How in the hell did we get here?” Why this country after that one? Why that first one at all? How did we get fooled? We struggle to provide answers to these questions and embarrassingly enough, the only definitive truth we have is for why we were attacked in the first place. It wasn’t all the things we were lead to think, it was because we’re hypocrites of freedom. How ironic is it that terrorists would claim several thousand innocent lives to send a message while we would claim several hundred thousand innocent lives, some even our own, to pretend that we’re right. I believe in questioning authority because it is what this nation stands for, even if some people forget.