Giancarlo - Lake Forest, Illinois

I remember one time in church our priest telling the story of a man who had lost faith. This mad had been walking in the park one afternoon when he witnessed a woman slip in a puddle and drop a newborn child, which died on the hard pavement. The man was so alarmed at the inhumanity of this event that he cast from his mind any notion of an omni benevolent god, or one at any level.

But I believe that this man has failed his test. The world is not a place of equality. It is not meant to be a place for people to prosper without any challenges nor hardships. People have confused the test with the goal. I believe Earth is a filter for those worthy of salvation. Many would say this is cruel, and that God is therefore malevolent, as if some higher power owed mankind paradise. They will say that evil is proof that God cannot exist for God is not a virtual slave to human standards of justice. They will claim that science has disproved any such notion of a higher being. And they will say that their free will to oppose any such god is a sign that he is not omnipotent.

Yet evil is the test of loyalty. And only those who believe once science has disproved have hope for salvation. God is benevolent because you have been granted this second chance on earth after having failed in Eden. And agnostics, the doubting Thomas’ who demand proof before faith, will not be saved. Mankind has free will so that they may make it clear where they stand, in their actions and words.

As is said in one of my favorite movies, Fight Club, “You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.” Once one accepts that they are not unique, that most of what they do during this transitional period on earth will not matter, and that they will ultimately be judged by God, it is clear that the excuse “but you didn’t make yourself OBVIOUS for me!” won’t be accepted.