Christopher - Lake Forest, Illinois

I believe in the goodness of mankind and the importance of parents.

I remember when I was real small and I couldn’t do much. I was about three or four years old and I’d pull on my mom’s skirt or I’d topple a few picture frames or trip up a few hurried adults or other little child things and mom and dad would never hit me. They didn’t believe in violence because violence never solved anything. I’ve come to agree.

They could have easily pummeled me into submission. Every time my sister and I quarreled over the super Nintendo or over who gets front seat or whatever, it would have been much easier to slap us till we stopped arguing. But no, my dad was really smart and he made my sister and I sit across the dining room table until we agreed to cheek kiss and make up. In seventeen years of life, he has had to resort to that punishment only twice.

This is why I know mankind is principally good.

If men and women can routinely love something as small and delicate as a child (and something so generally irritating), it is no stretch of the imagination to suppose that men and women could routinely love something much bigger and harder; principally, each other.

To come from another perspective, every person alive has had a mother and all have been raised by their mother or by a mother substitute (I’ve only met androids in games). It’s then a safe bet to assume that no mother truly wants to hurt their child (at the very least I know my mom never killed me (yet)) and that most children do not wish to cause lasting harm to their mothers (except maybe in the teenage years). Then taking into account certain bottleneck situations in human history and other history related things, all of mankind currently existing is family of some sort or another. Therefore because everyone is family, at the very least, no one should hurt another (even when sis gets to the super Nintendo first).

But because we’re all family, we should help each other and that, I believe, is a good thing.