“What do you believe in?”

Annalisa - Las Vegas, Nevada

Ever since I could remember, that question had always defeated me. I would spend hours trying to ‘find the way.’ I tried so many times to simply conform to the people around me. I wanted so bad to believe in something just as they did. They all seemed happy, complete, and more importantly, they seemed to be satisfied. I, on the other hand, always felt like there was a big part of me that had been taken away; or perhaps it was never there to begin with.

I remember the evening that I decided to change all of my life. It was a crisp, somewhat warm night in the middle of May. I was sitting on my rooftop because, for whatever reason it may be, I find my roof to be therapeutic. As I was sitting there watching the Las Vegas strip glisten through the springtime sky, that question sprung upon my mind yet again; “what do you believe in?” I envisioned my life and all the things I felt were right or wrong. As I was thinking about this, my cat, Ohina, climbed through my bedroom window and nestled herself snuggly into my lap. I looked at her, and she looked back to me. It was that defining moment on a warm spring night that I realized completely, for the first time ever, that there was never anything missing. I have always believed that love and humanity are the utmost important values. From that point on, it was easy to fit all the pieces into place. I decided that since animal cruelty is neither loving nor humane, eating meat was not supporting my beliefs.

Ever since that night last May, I haven’t eaten meat. The part of me that I’d been longing to find has been retrieved. This, I believe was the best decision I have ever made.