Matt - 45373, Ohio

I believe in the value of family.

For as long as I can recall, my family has been the foundation of happiness in my life. This is something that I very regularly take for granted. My parents have had an amazingly strong marriage of 25 years; and for 23 of those years they have been parents. I am the youngest child of 3, and both my older sister and brother share the same respect for my parents as I do.

My father, who came from nothing, has provided our family with everything we have ever dreamed of. I can honestly say that without a doubt, my father is my best friend. Ever since I was an adolescent, my father, my brother, and I have gone on what we call “Men’s night out.” This is a tradition that we still do to this very day, where once every couple of weeks we go out for pizza and a movie. Every year the 3 of us also go on a weekend vacation to various places to simply enjoy each others company. Whether it is snowboarding in Michigan or white water rafting in Colorado, we do something together that is just the 3 of us. My sister and my mother also do similar trips like this together.

My mother is truly the greatest woman that I have ever known. She gives of herself more than anyone could ever possibly imagine. My mother works anywhere from 60-70 hours weeks, just about every week. With the income that my father provides, my mother does not have to work nearly at all. But she works herself to death every week to give us kids anything and everything that we need or want. She is the most selfless and giving woman that I have ever encountered.

My siblings and I also have an amazing relationship. For as long as I can remember we have done everything together. We even have matching tattoos with each others initials on our backs. This relationship is undoubtedly due to the way that we were brought up and the love my parents have given us.

I wholeheartedly believe in the value of family. This is a value that I often and regrettably take for granted. I am now at college, and I often watch the way that my friends view their parents. It truly makes me sad that not a single one of my friends share this great devotion to family. Most of the people I know, talk to their parents once a week and act as if it is the biggest inconvenience they must endure. I talk to my parents everyday as well as see them on a weekly basis. If they don’t drive to my college to go out of dinner, then I will make the trip home.

In recent years, it seems as if the value of family has been kicked off the agenda of life in this society. I am unaware of the reasons for this, but I truly wish that somebody could figure it out. I pay great tribute to my family as the main reason for my success in life thus far. I only wish that others my age will soon begin to share my attitudes towards family before it becomes a virtue of the past.