There is Always a Second Choice for Everyone

Paterson - SJC, California

“Failure is the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently.” This quote by Henry Ford is a great example of why second chances are important. All people make mistakes, and most try to learn form them. But the fact that they’re trying to get better is only one of the reasons why people deserve a second chance. In some cases, that second chance doesn’t go as hoped. Other times; it could turn out to be one of the greatest decisions in their lifetime. Giving someone a second chance is also helping that person be reassured that you believe they can change, hopefully for the better.

At the beginning of summer, after 8th grade, I met a kid named Austin. We became good friends right away, because we had so much in common. We hung out all the time. He sometimes seemed troubled, but he never wanted to talk to me about it. Every year I go to a camp in Colorado for the month of July. During that month, Austin decided to get into drugs. Personally, I refuse to be friends with anybody who does that sort of thing. I find it gross and stupid. I was so angry when I found out, that I disowned him as a friend right away. Austin soon realized what the drugs were doing to his life. He was losing friends, disappointing his parents, and killing his future. Two days after I decided not to be his friend, Austin’s parents checked him into a local rehab center. Austin was there for two weeks and when he was released, he called me. He apologized for everything, but then began to talk about his real problem. I always wondered how a kid like Austin could have ended up with drugs. He was an A+ student, the pitcher on his baseball team and he had so many friends. Austin told me he knew he had a great life, but had parents that weren’t so fabulous. They always pressured Austin about his sports and grades. He would hear his fathers booming voice in his head every time he was about to make a pass in a game. “Don’t screw up, or you will be a screw up!” And when he took tests, he would hear his mothers screeching voice saying “This test could make the difference between Columbia or Community College.” Hearing these voices made his insides churn like butter. So he turned to drugs to escape their voices.

From knowing Austin, I learned that second chances only come around once in a while.

When they do, you need to take advantage of them; not only for yourself, but for your true friend as well. After talking to Austin, I put myself in his position. I realized that if I had made a choice like that, I would want him to forgive me. So, I decided to forgive him and give him that sacred second chance I believe everyone deserves. Although sometimes we forget, we should always remember that a second chance is a chance to make not only ours, but someone else’s life a new beginning.