Jenna - La Grange Park, Illinois
Themes: peace

This I Believe…

I remember a time when I was in the sixth grade and I took a trip to New York City with my family. We took this trip during the week of Thanksgiving. New York City is a pretty crazy city in it’s self, but add the annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade and things just become chaotic. My family and I didn’t go watch the parade though, we walked through the crowded streets to Central Park. In Central Park there is a mosaic with the word ‘imagine,’ that acts as a memorial for John Lennon. My family and I are huge Beatles fans, so this was something we felt we had to see.

We weren’t the only people that felt that way, when we got to the memorial, there were about twenty people already there. As we walked closer to it I realized there were many candles, and a faint singing. When we got close enough I actually heard the singing become a song, the song was ‘Imagine’ by John Lennon. Candles and flowers, pictures and teddy bears were all scattered around the memorial in remberence of John.

I believe that peace does exist. Honestly before this experience I had never given peace much thought, but just being in complete chaos in the middle of New York City, you would think that would be the last place you’d find peace. The fact that you can go a couple hundred feet into a park that is surrounded with buildings and millions of people, and still have a sense of serenity. Because of John Lennon I experienced a thing that changed my life, I’m positive that I am not the first nor the last. It makes me happy to know in a world as crazy as ours, people can stop and come together, and even sing, and eccept the differences in each other. That to me is a form of peace that helps make this world go around a little smoother.