The Labyrinth of Imagination

Kelly - Wilton, Connecticut

I believe in fantasy and the ability of the mind to wander. I believe that of all the gifts given to us at birth, imagination is the most brilliant. In my life, fantasy and dreaming have allowed me to ignore the calls of conformity and remain unique when others give in to normality. I find comfort in knowing that while others become more homogeneous, creativity keeps me pleasantly impervious to the pressures of society.

As children we have the ability to create unknown lands at the drop of a dime. We can generate hybrid animals with crayons or finger paint. People believe that it is natural to lose this ability; that with the gain of knowledge comes the loss of childhood frivolities such as imagination. I, however, see more need for the fantastical as I grow older. In my sixteen years, I have drawn and dreamt more fictional characters and faraway lands than I can possibly relate in this brief essay.

I pity those who are lost in reality, for imagination fuels creativity and intelligence. For some, maturity blurs the bridge between reality and fantasy until it is almost invisible. Others feed their minds desire to wander. Pablo Picasso once said, “Everything you can imagine is real.” It is through the arts that he expressed his belief, although sometimes it shocked and stunned viewers. Some choose to express their mind’s eye through writing, but regardless of how it is represented, it is fantasy that influences them.

What was it that made us believe that a small fairy came to our pillow when we had lost a tooth? For the first, tiny teeth, it was pure imagination, derived from parental love that made us believe. At night we would anxiously attempt to stay awake to catch a glimpse of the mysterious fairy, but fall asleep despite ourselves. Aging brings with it the gain of knowledge, unfortunate for the reason that it diminishes our ability to imagine. Children begin to rip their teeth out when they learn that parents, not fairies, put money under their pillows. They pretend to believe only for trivial personal gain and at some point, the magic and wonder are lost completely.

And it is to those people that I sympathize; the people who are lost in the quagmire of life. I feel nothing but sorrow for those who can not fantasize or calm themselves with simple, carefree dreams. For what is life without the serenity of imagination?

Furthermore, I believe that fantastical dreaming has made me who I am today. Imagination has given me the ability to see, think, look, touch, smell, and taste things in different ways. My mind’s casual wandering has created the most ornate labyrinths of thought and fantasy, that without which, I would be ordinary, this I believe.