Perspective Creates Reality

Grace - Wilton, Connecticut

Throughout our lives, we encounter endless obstacles that may result either in peace or in pain. Things are constantly given to us as things are taken away from us. I feel it will always be a challenge to extract the best out of everything. Through such challenges, I’ve discovered the key to making life as beautiful as possible.

Throughout my life, I have attended three elementary schools, two middle schools, and two high schools. The summer after my freshmen year was the toughest move of all. When I got back from a camp, all of my belongings were packed into a U-Haul in the parking lot of a local hotel. It had worked out in a way that my family had to clear out of the previous house a day earlier than we were allowed to move into the next house. I have four siblings, making my family a herd of six. For one night, the cheapest room at the hotel cost a hundred bucks. There was a maximum of three people per room so as my parents checked in, I opened the back door for my two brothers and sister. All six of us got a good night’s sleep in a room with a full sized bed and a couple of chairs. That weekend, I began unpacking my belongings in an unknown house I had to call my own. I didn’t realize that this was only the beginning of my troubles until I saw that adjusting to a new high school is one of the hardest things you can ask of a teenager already struggling to identify them self.

As I look back at this episode in my life, it’s easy for me to call it the worst. It’s even easier for me to use my experiences as an excuse to complain about how life worked out. It’s almost too easy. As I passed each day in self pity, I realized that nothing was going to come out of life if I continued my behavior. It wasn’t as if I could change the entire world into a perfect haven by sulking. That was when I decided to change my mentality. I would change my perspective on life.

As a photographer, it is rare that you stumble upon a scene lighted and angled perfectly for your capture. It would be silly to ask the sun to change position or for the butterfly to open its wings more. It would make more sense to change your position and then adjust the lens, zooming, shading, etc. The way the world looks changes when you change yourself. When I was able to realize this, I suddenly had the power to make the world perfect.