Rebecca - Portland, Oregon

This I believe!

I believe you should never judge a book by its cover. When I say that I mean people are not normally how they look on the outside. Most of the time our appearance is just a disguise. We might be hiding from our true self, because we might have been hurt so badly that we think it was better to put up a strong front. Maybe we have never been truly loved. For me, I choose to look this way because if I look tougher I can never be abuse again. It is my shield from the cruel world, from bad people. Although the person that abused me is still in jail, I am now protecting myself from the next.

I’ve been told that I look like some punk kid with dyed hair, piercings, and tattoos, but in all reality I’m a loving mother, caring daughter. I’m a best friend and a student in the medical field. I bet by my looks no one would believe that. Who really has the right to judge people?

Although, I am a good and friendly person, my looks have gotten me into a little trouble. One day I was walking down the street and this old lady had dropped her bag. Of course I reached down to help her, as I did she started screaming and beating me with her cane. She thought I was trying to steal her bag. I ended up with a black eye and several bruises. I tried to explain that I was only trying to help, but it was no use. All she saw was my blue hair, piercings, and all my tattoos, not some one trying to help her. As I walked away she screamed “punk kid.”

Although painful, if I had the chance to do it again I wouldn’t have changed a thing. I am a friend, a companion, and a good citizen. I am not my cover, I am a person.