Mary - Westminster, Maryland

I believe the best about people. I think the majority of human beings when given the opportunity will choose to do the right thing most of the time. I try to focus on what is upright and decent in people. Even though both goodness and evil co-exist in everyone I pray for the virtue to reign. I strive to catch people in the act of benevolence, because it restores my faith in the excellent side of human nature. How many good deeds go undetected? Driving a sick neighbor to the doctor, letting someone go ahead in the checkout line, leaving work early to give blood, holding the door for a stranger, feeding your neighbors pets while they’re on vacation, serenading customers while they wait for service. I have memories of these folks enjoying abundant lives, triumphing over their darker tendencies, and performing random acts of kindness. Why do they do it? I don’t know. Maybe they are more highly evolved or just maybe they too have chosen to be their most excellent selves and to walk on the positive side.