“I Believe the Morning Sun Is Always Going To Shine Again”

James - Canton, Michigan

If someone were to ask me what accomplishment I am most proud of, then that person probably wouldn’t believe I was serious when I answered. I would tell the person that I am proud that, after ten years, I finally decided to replay one of my favorite videogames from my childhood. The game of which I am speaking is EarthBound.

What separates this game from anything else is the story. The story starts late one night outside a small town in the 1990’s. Here, a young boy with psychic powers investigates a recent meteor crash. Arriving at the meteor, the boy meets a bee-like creature from the future who warns the boy of an evil alien who wishes to conquer the planet. He also tells the boy that he and three friends he will meet are the only chance to stop the alien. The boy and his friends must venture around the land to collect eight items which will purify their souls and make them stronger. At the end of the game the friends learn that the alien has become so uncontrollably powerful that it is now “the embodiment of evil”, being based upon the game designer’s traumatic childhood experience where he witnessed a rape scene by accidentally walking into an adult theatre, destroying his innocence. The battle becomes a representation of pure good vs. pure evil with good only being able to win through the powers of courage, teamwork, and friendship.

I am proud I decided to play this game during my childhood and near my adult years. In my childhood, the game taught me the importance of courage and friendship. Now, upon playing it with an older, wiser mind, the game helped me believe that the lessons I learned from the game when I was younger are important at any age.

Earthbound, to me, is more than just a game; it is a representation of how friends can help each other and, together, overcome any obstacle. It shows that with courage and a sense of adventure, anyone can find friends who will help him or her make a difference. After all, as the song says, “I believe in friends and laughter, and the wonders love can do; I believe in songs and magic and that’s why I believe in you.”