Vicky - Indian Head Park, Illinois
Themes: tolerance

I believe that every single person judges other people before actually getting to know them. It is impossible not to prejudge someone.

Think of it this way: judging people is just like judging food. Whether you realize it or not, you analyze your food – just as much as you analyze other people. Before tasting a plate of food, we try to see if it looks tasty. If it doesn’t look good, then we logically won’t eat it. But if it does look appealing, then we would probably just dig right into it, even if the food wasn’t actually good. Many times we can be wrong about our judgments on food. It may look good, but that doesn’t mean that it is. However, without trying the food at all, we would never be able to find out what it tastes like. That is how we can miss out on fabulous foods without even knowing it.

Another common example is judging a book by its cover. Although we are always told not to do this, I personally know that everyone does. No one would want to read a bad book, right? To be sure that we do not pick up a boring book, we look at the cover first. The cover of a book is just like a preview. If we like the cover, only then we will start to read it. We get an idea of what the book might be like.

The same concepts apply to people, like me. When I was in fourth grade, I had made up my mind that I absolutely hated a girl in my class. This was only because I thought that she looked unfriendly. One day I had heard from a classmate that we had a crush on the same boy. And for a fourth grader, this seemed like the end of the world. But a few days later, we somehow started talking to each other about the boy that we liked. After this, we became friendlier toward each other. Soon enough, I realized that she wasn’t as bad as I had expected. You would have never guessed that we became best friends for the rest of that year.

People prejudge each other just like they would prejudge food or books or anything like that. And although I know that it isn’t always good to do so, I also know that it is impossible not to do so. This is why I have minimized judging others. I always try to get to know others. Especially if I like what’s on their covers.